At the same time I built the previous 251 I also built this KV1 Russian Tank also with worn down winter camouflage.
This Hobby Boss kit is not a hard build and looks quite nice, though the tracks are somewhat hard to work with, though that may be because I simply hate working with tracks in general; It was quite the challenge to paint them separately and put them in place at the end. I definitely don’t recommend this approach.
Like the 251 this one also had no after market added to it, though I do think the engine grills would profit from a nice PE set to replace the stock ones.
All in all it’s a fun kit that lends itself very well to all kinds of weathering.
After almost a year since my last post here comes my latest work. It has been almost finished for quite a while but unfortunately life has been getting on the way of modelling.
This kit was made in a workshop at Greenmodels with supervision from Filipe Ferreira.
The kit itself is really great fun, very detailed, but as most non Japanese companies the plastic is far too soft for my taste and the many small and fragile pieces get damaged very very easily, so care needs to be taken when building it.
As the kit already has good detail, no aftermarket was added; Even the tracks are quite passable.
The colour scheme was the regular panzer grey to keep it simple, but to add some fancyness and interest I added worn down, winter camouflage. On top of that some dirt and grime for extra flavour.
It’s been quite a while but my modelling is not stopped, unfortunately the time to publish wip posts is severely lacking, but I have a bunch of models finished or close to so new posts should be popping up.
The first one to be completed is the Eduard limited edition of the P-38 Lightning. The kit has the academy plastic with some Eduard upgrades, namely the resin wheels, superchargers and cockpit, a pair of photoetch frets, painting masks and cartograph waterslides for 5 different aricraft.
Usually Eduard does a great job and the detail is certenly there but the cockpit was quite difficult to put together. The side walls and the floor seem to be in a different scale with the walls being bigger than they should by a rather large margin. This made the assembly quite difficult and putting it in place inside the gondola a nightmare. With some effort I did manage, and you can’t really see much of the cockpit anyway so. I would probably skip it if I made another one and just use the plastic cockpit.
The rest of the kit was also somewhat complicated. This is not a kit for the inexperienced. It can build into a good looking model, but it requires a ton of work to fix all the alignment issues, and gaps. If you pick this up expect to spend a lot of time sanding and puttying.
Still, in the end all that work makes finishing it that more satisfying.