Yamato 2199 1/1000 – Completed

 

And it’s done. Not the best kit from Bandai but it’s still a very high quality one and no fault at all on the looks. The only really big flaw is the fit on the tower as you can easily see with the big gap. Had I tested it before painting and final assembly it would have been an easy fix. besides that for anyone thinking on building one, I recommend that you assemble the whole hull as well as the decks, because when you snap those in place you need to apply quite a bit of pressure that can damage the work on the seems.

The colours I used :

Lower hull: eye balled mix of Mr Color Red (several tones), dark yellow and a dash of black.

Upper hull: eye balled mix of Mr Color  Neutral Grey, Intermediate  Blue and a dash of red and black.

Observation decks, windows and whatnot: Vallejo Model Air Chrome with Vallejo Model Color Transparent Green on top.

To finish it up I applied some washes with a couple of AK Interactive products.

Tell me what you think 🙂

20130630_Yamato 2199_0001 20130630_Yamato 2199_0002 20130630_Yamato 2199_0003 20130630_Yamato 2199_0004 20130630_Yamato 2199_0005 20130630_Yamato 2199_0006 20130630_Yamato 2199_0007 20130630_Yamato 2199_0008

Advertisements

Academy 1/35 M113, Portuguese BiMec APC WIP #1

And in a departure from my usual sci-fi I have started the Academy 1/35th scale M113, building it as a car used in the BIMEC – Batalhão de Infantaria Mecanizado of the Portuguese army.

I’m doing this build in the context of a course promoted by a LHS, http://www.greenmodels.net/ , whose main purpose is to focus on the nuances of Portuguese material.

The Academy kit is very complete, with loads of parts and full interior, but for this build I decided not to do any interior, focusing solely in the exterior of the car. Cross referencing the manual and the pictures of the car I’m building, most of the parts are included, even if not referenced in the manual, with the exception of the grenade launchers which will have to be made from scratch.

The building is now almost complete missing only the antena and AK optics which will be added after the top coat. Paint has also started having the car primed in Vallejo black primer.

(warning: The pics may look awful in some monitors specially laptop ones. They looked good in my monitor but when I checked them in my work’s laptop they where far darker and with a considerable loss of contrast)

20130202_M113 Tuga_0001

This is a very different kind of build from what I’m used to, being that I can actually see how the model looks before painting. I like that very much. When building gundams or the likes, I do find it a bit unmotivating at times that you must have almost all the work done before you see it taking shape.

20130202_M113 Tuga_0002

The kit is somewhat old (some 20 years), and though I don’t know if it’s still a trend on more modern tools, it has a ton of mould lines and ejector pin marks everywhere  Even without the interior it still took me some 15-20 hours just to put it together. I do hope that more modern kits don’t have so much of these problems.

20130202_M113 Tuga_0003

The fit is nice, and didn’t gave me much trouble, with the exception of the front cover which was a paint to put in place. Another person in the same course did have problems in the back of the car due to warping in the chassis, but in 5 kits that was the only one with that issue.

20130202_M113 Tuga_0004

Not a lot of putty was needed, except in the commander’s cupola periscopes which has some nasty sink marks, and a couple of ejector marks here and there. Nothing some Mr Dissolved Putty couldn’t fix.

20130202_M113 Tuga_0005

The wheels are already painted in the colour of the car using a colour from a zmodels paint set specifically made for Portuguese armour. The rubber was then hand brushed with Vallejo black.

20130202_M113 Tuga_0007

The tracks included in the kit are really bad. It does bring two options, rubber, which are awful and not accurate, as well as individual links which all have 5 points to clean up plus other accuracy issues. In the end I went with AFV rubber tracks which are much more accurate than the ones that come in the kit.
They where first painted with Tamiya flat brown and then the rubber pads where hand brushed with Vallejo black.

20130202_M113 Tuga_0006

And this is it for now. For my first experience in building armour I’m enjoying myself very much. It will certainly not be the last.